FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: How do I take care of my new jewelry?
A: All jewelry should be handled with care, this is especially true of natural stones and metals.
To keep your jewelry looking its best always apply creams, moisturizers, and perfumes before putting on your jewelry. Take off your jewelry when showering or swimming, and avoid exposing your jewelry to harsh chemicals and cleaning supplies.
When not in use, store your jewelry in an airtight pouch to prevent any oxidation (tarnishing).
To clean your jewelry use a soft cotton or microfibre cloth and gently buff jewelry.
Q: How do I take care of my pearl jewelry?
A: Freshwater pearls are natural and organic gemstones. They are softer than most gemstones and require a bit more care to keep them looking their best year after year.
Avoid having your pearls come into contact with lotions and perfumes, makeup, and harsh detergents. These things can dull the pearls shiny lustre over time. If your pearls are accidentally exposed to any of these products, it’s best to wipe the pearls with a soft damp cloth to remove any residue.
Avoid wearing your pearls in the water, especially in a hot tub or pool as these chemicals can permanently damage the finish of your pearls - dulling the finish, or even worse, causing small pitting on the surface of your pearls.
Storing your pearls. Store your pearls in a soft pouch or lined jewelry box in a cool, dry location. Keep in mind that pearls can be scratched if stored with other jewelry touching it.
If you need to wash your pearls, use warm soapy water (with a mild soap) to remove any residue and dry your pearls with a clean soft cloth. Make sure to fully dry your pearls before storing them.
Q: I have sensitive ears, which earrings do you recommend?
A: For very sensitive ears we normally recommend trying niobium metal as it is a pure element and is naturally hypoallergenic. We do recommend trying out our sterling silver and gold filled metals as well as most people are able to comfortably wear and enjoy these metals too. And as always, all of our jewelry is 100% nickel and lead free.
Q: What is gold filled jewelry?
A: Gold is good for people with sensitivities, but it comes with a price tag that often keeps this metal out of reach for most people. This is where gold filled metal really shines. With gold filled jewelry, a thick layer of solid gold is pressure bonded to a base metal giving the look and feel of real gold without the hefty price tag. Gold filled metals are not plated, so the colour will not fade, tarnish or wear away over time. It’s really a win win situation - the beauty and longevity of owning beautiful gold jewelry while being economical enough to purchase your favourite pieces. All of my gold filled jewelry is free of nickel and lead.
Q: Is silver good for earrings?
A: Silver is usually a safe bet for sensitive ears, but keep in mind sterling silver is made from an alloy as pure silver is too soft to be used for jewelry. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver with the remaining 7.5% being copper or nickel; so be sure you are buying sterling silver jewelry that is nickel free as nickel is usually the culprit when it comes to sensitivities. All of my silver jewelry is free of nickel and lead.
Q: What is niobium?
A: Niobium is one of the best metals for sensitive ears. It’s naturally hypoallergenic and non-reactive with the human body, so even the most sensitive lobes can wear it with ease. The super cool thing about niobium is that it’s naturally a grey colour, but can be anodized to create a rainbow of cool colours. And since anodizing only uses electrical current, there is no plating or alloys needed. The niobium remains 100% pure, hypoallergenic, and of course nickel and lead free. Does it get any better than that?!
Q: What is rhodium?
A: Rhodium is hypoallergenic which is good news for the sensitive ears out there. Rhodium is often plated over sterling silver to keep the shiny look of silver while never having to worry about the annoying tarnish that comes with silver. Just be sure you are purchasing rhodium plated sterling silver jewelry that is also nickel free. All of my rhodium jewelry is free of nickel and lead.